Art Jameel and Highland Print Studio, a printmaking and digital imaging facility based in the Scottish Highlands, are partnering to provide artists and enthusiasts a three-week programme of workshop, talk and an exhibition on printmaking. Supported by the British Council, the programme will take place at the Project Space Art Jameel Jeddah, from February 6 to March 2, 2020.
The programme will include:
- An exhibition | February 7 – March 2 | Opening February 6 at 7:00pm: the touring exhibition, from Alba to Arabia, is curated by the Highland Print Studio and features works in a range of printmaking techniques by artists from the Highland Print Studio network; free and all welcome.
- Talk | February 9 at 6:00pm: About Printmaking and Highland Print Studio: a talk on printmaking techniques and Highland Print Studio’s work, including a description of the Studio’s work with professional artists and its education programme for students and the wider community.
- Workshops | February 8 – 13: a series of in-depth workshops covering different aspects of printmaking such as linocut, drypoint, and polymer photogravure from drawings.
- Saturday, February 8 | 10am – 4pm: Polymer Photogravure: An exciting opportunity to try this engaging technique. Photo-expose drawings on to light sensitive polymer plates using the Jeddah sunshine, develop the plates, and then ink and print on beautiful cotton paper. The prints give a rich and dynamic look to the drawings with full tone and texture.
- Monday, February 10 | 6 – 9pm: Drypoint: Drypoint allows working directly into print plates with sharp points to produce unique lines and marks. Learn the intaglio method of inking and enjoy pulling prints from dampened cotton paper. Combine both techniques for extra special results.
- Wednesday, February 12 | 6 – 9pm: Linocut 2-colour, Part 1: Learn how to design, hand cut and print from linoleum, using professional cutting tools, printing press and fine paper. This six-hour class over two evenings will cover colour reduction printing from one a single block, showing how to plan an image, use colour and tone, and register each colour accurately. A great way to create distinctive and dynamic artworks.
- Thursday, February 13 | 6 – 9pm: Linocut 2-colour, Part 2
Each workshop has a maximum capacity of six, so interested practitioners are encouraged to register for the workshops as soon as possible at [email protected].
The three-week programme of exhibition, workshops, and talks will be held at Project Space Art Jameel in Jeddah, located next to the Jamjoom House in Al-Balad, Jeddah’s historic district, here.